MiVideo is the University of Michigan's streaming and content management media service. MiVideo is the University's branding of Kaltura’s Video Cloud Platform.
My Media is your personal media library for video, audio, and images. My Media is the collection of all the media you own as well as media shared with you by others. Media can be shared with you by adding you as a collaborator. Media located in your My Media library in Canvas is accessible from all your Canvas courses and from your My Media library on the MiVideo Mediaspace (mivideo.it.umich.edu).
Media Gallery is each Canvas course's central library for video, audio, and images. All students, teachers, and others enrolled in the course can search and view all the media published within the Media Gallery. Only teachers, TAs, and designers who own or are co-publisher for media can publish from their My Media library to the Media Gallery. Media in the Media Gallery can be organized into playlists.
A Kaltura Mediaspace is a stand-alone video portal. You're currently viewing an instance of a Kaltura Mediaspace. The MiVideo Mediaspace (mivideo.it.umich.edu) is accessible to all faculty, staff, and students of the University across all three campuses; Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint.
Several departments across campus customize and maintain their own Mediaspace portal for their specific use. If your department is looking for a cloud-based streaming solution for your media collection and you're interested in learning more about Kaltura please contact the ITS-MiVideo team for a consultation.
A channel is a personally managed, user generated media collection on a Mediaspace. Channels can be configured in a variety of ways from fully open collaborative collections to private collections locked down to specific groups. Related media in channels can be organized into playlists. Viewers can subscribe to channels to be notified when new content is added. MiVideo in Canvas is an example of a public channel with a restricted group of managers.
A playlist organizes media into easy to browse collections so viewers don’t have to search to find related media. Multiple playlists can be created in a Mediaspace channel or Canvas Media Gallery and the position media appear in the playlist can be ordered.
Kaltura has an LTI integration with Canvas. This tool is already enabled for all courses. The LTI provides:
- Access to your My Media library from inside Canvas (Account > My Media)
- An individual Media Gallery for each course accessible by clicking Media Gallery in the course's left navigation menu
- The ability to embed and link to MiVideo media from course content
- The ability to pass back IVQ quiz scores to the Canvas gradebook
- The ability to import a Media Gallery from one course into another
The KMC is the backend of MiVideo and is only accessible by KMC administrators.
Faculty, staff, and students of the University can manage their own media in their My Media library from within Canvas or a Mediaspace.
There is no charge to use the MiVideo service which includes automatic speech recognition (ASR) closed captions. Professional captioning, translations, audio descriptions, and audio language translation (dubbing) are premium fee-based services.
There is no storage limit. It is highly recommended to upload and store course media in MiVideo to prevent maxing out the 12GB per Canvas course file storage restriction.
There is no file size limit. However consider making shorter recordings. This helps you keep your audience's attention and makes it easier on you for editing and recovering from errors (for example, not having the right mic selected).
MiVideo does not currently have a retention policy. Media in MiVideo will not be automatically deleted after a certain period of time.
See the MiVideo Sensitive Data Guide for what content is permitted on this platform.
There are many different software applications that create audio and video recordings. Use whatever application you are most familiar with. U-M Zoom recordings can also be copied into MiVideo.
Kaltura provides two free recording options:
- Kaltura Express Capture - a browser-based webcam and audio recorder that does not record the screen. Your audio/video file is uploaded to your My Media but a copy of the file is not saved locally onto your device. Recommended only for short recordings.
- Kaltura Capture - a free screen recording software application for Windows and MacOS that provides a variety of recording and annotation tools. It will record your screen/Powerpoint presentation as well as webcam/audio and save the recording locally onto your computer to be uploaded to your My Media.
Adding new media automatically makes you the owner of the media item and grants you the ability to publish and edit the media.
- Add new media within your My Media library - media added to your My Media is private and only accessible by you (and any collaborators for the media) until you publish or embed it into Canvas content. Use this option if you want to keep your media private until a later time, if you want to embed the media instead of publishing to the Media Gallery, or if you want to edit before publishing it.
- Add new media within the Media Gallery - this option adds the media item to your My Media and automatically publishes the media to the Media Gallery. Use this option if you want the media to be immediately accessible to everyone enrolled in the course.
- Add new media within a Mediaspace channel - this option adds the media item to your My Media and automatically publishes the media to the channel on the Mediaspace. Use this option if you want the media to be immediately accessible to everyone who has access to the channel.
- Copy Zoom recordings to your My Media library - use this option if you have a saved Zoom cloud recording you want copied into MiVideo. The recording will be private until you publish or embed it into Canvas content.
You must be the owner or co-editor to edit media.
Video Editing Tools
The Video Editor provides media trim, chop, splice, and copy capabilities within Canvas and Mediaspaces.
Interactive Video Quiz (IVQ) and Hotspots
Can be embedded into videos. Typically IVQs are used in Canvas courses. Responses are recorded and scores can be passed back to Canvas when published as an assignment.
Edit Media Details
Edit the details of the media file including the changing the file name, adding tags, adding attachments, inserting chapters or slides, and adding collaborators.
Media owners can add collaborators (co-editors and co-publishers) to share access to their media.
Media owners and co-editors can order and edit captions for audio and video files.
Machine-generated English captioning
This service is provided using automatic speech recognition (ASR) technology. It is a free service. These captions are not always accurate. Canvas course managers (Teachers, TAs, Designers) can order captions for most Media Gallery content without having to be the owner or a co-editor.
Services for Students with Disabilities requests
The SSD office will assist faculty with ordering professional human-generated English captions for course videos and audio files.
Premium fee-based services
These services can be ordered with a shortcode; human-generated English captioning, language translation, audio description, and audio language translation (dubbing).
If you added new media from within a Canvas Media Gallery or a Mediaspace channel then the media was automatically published. There are several ways to publish private (unpublished) media from your My Media library depending on your audience.
- Publish to a channel - only those who have access to the channel can view the media
- Add to a channel playlist - this automatically publishes the media to the channel also
- Unlisted - only those with a link to the media can access it
- Media Gallery - media is accessible to anyone enrolled in the course
- Add to a Media Gallery playlist - this automatically publishes the media to the Media Gallery also
- Embed into course content - media and Media Gallery playlists can be embedded onto pages, assignments, or any tool that utilizes the Rich Text Editor
- Link to media from a content item - use the Rich Text Editor or create a module item that links to media or a Media Gallery playlist
- Publish an IVQ as an assignment - this passes the score back to the Canvas gradebook.
Kaltura analytics describes how viewers engage with your media. Analytic metrics can be found for:
- Media Gallery - how viewers engage with all media items published in a course Media Gallery
- Media - how viewers engage with a specific published media item
- Interactive Video Quiz (IVQ) - additional analytics for videos with IVQs including quiz answers and scores
- Channel - how viewers engage with all media items published in a Mediaspace channel
- Media - how viewers engage with a specific published media item
- MiVideo is supported by the ITS-MiVideo team, part of ITS Teaching and Learning.
- Additional learning material can be found in the ITS Knowledge Base as well as Kaltura's Knowledge Center.
- For general questions regarding using MiVideo please contact the ITS Service Center.
- For personalized training or to schedule a consultation please visit the Consultations page for more information.